Today it’s been a week walking around and coping slowly
everyday with one arm. A dear friend asked me to update him on how it would be
for me.
As I do tend to write and blog at times, I thought it would
be rather easy to jot down some words on this, until I actually start thinking
about it...
To give you a very brief summary here is what happened; last
Friday, on my way to work on my bike, a car hit me but luckily I only broke my
left wrist. It was kind of an overwhelming and somewhat dramatic experience,
but I kept calm and was lucky to be surrounded by colleagues and family.
It is weird waking up the next few days, feeling all ready
and energetic to seize the day, like nothing had happened. Quickly you realize
and you are reminded that things are done slower and maybe slightly different
as you only have one strong hand.
You realize pretty much a lot of things you take for granted
everyday. I was very upset about the fact I couldn’t even ponytail my hair. I
have quite long, thick wavy (or curly) hair, and yeah I stayed with my mom the
first three nights and she or who ever was there helped me put it up.
Taking a shower the first time with one hand went fine – but
I got quite exhausted afterwards, and realized it takes more energy to focus
and concentrate on letting one hand do everything. I must say I usually never
use the showerhead stand, because I always take quick showers and I have never
been happier to use one.
The first morning alone I was proud to be able to cut a
bread roll and put butter on it on my own. Putting on the cheese was not the
hard part, but I had to do without the jam as couldn’t figure out how to open the jar with on hand. I did get a tip later on to put the jar between my legs and
there it popped open! So cool how talented you get! J
I do have to mention my family are more than willing to help
me out and be of assistance and they rather do everything for me and feeling I
need them (I guess) than me trying and overexert myself. LOL. It is sweet, but
hard when you are used to doing everything on your own. Not cooking is ok, but
not being able to do the dishes is funny enough, a little too weird for me.
All while my pain in my arm got worse and before getting
stronger meds, I still thought of what I could actually include in a blog that
would be interesting enough to read and know?
I admit, when the hospital warned me about all the reactions
I might acquire after the experience, after-shock or so, where they said it
would be good just to talk to people about it, I was worried how I would feel.
‘Cause I had kept quite calm, and I didn’t feel or think, “shit, what if
something worse had happened to me!” I was just calm and grateful that nothing
worse had happened to me.
I kind of did acknowledge the fact that maybe I do sometimes
have to take things slow, I am not the kind of person who gets stressed easily,
so I tend to do a lot of things all the time, and when I have more time I find more things to do. Outside work I have volunteer jobs and love hanging out with friends and family
too!
I did realize a lot of things are taken for granted in our
every day.
What I also thought about when I heard from the wife of the driver
that had hit me, as she had given me her calling card before leaving me on
Friday. She had asked me to send them my address, as she wanted to send me
flowers after the incident. She replied to my email, where I had given them a
short update on my well-being and told them I had “only” broken my wrist, and
she told me they were just back from the province after 4 days where she on
Friday was on her way to catch a train, before they hit me. She had to bury
the urn of her mom, and they had to clean her place afterwards.
I must say it was weird to know, I know she didn’t tell me
as an excuse or explanation to what had happened, but it just confirms how
stressed people are and how disconnected you can be with the rest of the world.
Not just them, but probably even me too?
I don’t know if this is an exaggerated thought from this
experience, and I admit I also thought, without analyzing and doubting my luck
still, but “Did anyone protect me that day? My aunt? The wife’s mom?” “Why me?”
and “why those people” and “why that day?”
I used to think I had a pessimistic view in life, I did
learn later on I was just a skeptic person, I am not sure I am by nature or if I just
grew to be like that. At work I am told though I am a very positive person, and
in this experience I have also used a positive attitude without thinking too
much of “what ifs”, but being grateful that a broken wrist is “all” I got,
and oh yes that my patience is being fully tested J and that I am reminded that
slowing down sometimes is not too bad. Even decisions I thought I was sure of,
is now again being reconsidered.
I have not attended mass since the Christmas holidays, I
wish I did though, I do have my own personal reasons to why I have not, but I
also hope and pray that He knows I am always thankful and grateful for the
everyday challenges and blessings He let s me experience and I hope I am living
and learning as I should.
Indeed an exhausting but rich week...
No comments:
Post a Comment