My first of 3 trips this spring, within 3 months; I will be taking a peak of 3 parts of 3 different continents. The first trip is of course in my own home continent of Europe, the southern part, where I accompany my mother to the home of Leonardo Da Vinci’s work of history “The Last Supper” – Milan.
Thinking that Italy would be my first destination of the 3 trips, unintentionally, made me think of the book “Eat, Love, Pray” by Elizabeth Gilbert. I am currently still reading the book, as I seldom do take time to just sit and read, which mostly only happens on my travels. The plan for the trip started as my mother got a visit from her nephew, my cousin’s best friend and wife. They invited us to visit them, so my mom excitingly started planning. In general it is not hard to find cheap plane tickets from my hometown to any of the European capitals. But Milan is not a capital and Italy is generally a sought after destination. So I had to consider the ticket price a few times before finally deciding to join my mother, as I really did not want her to travel alone.
Blogging through the start of the year, I thought this is kind of my own “Eat, Pray, Love” affair – a minor version but it kind of fits. My own version; 3 months, 3 destinations, Eat in Italy, Pray as arrive in the Philippines in time for Easter, Love – well, I choose to say loving my travels in my last destination of California, USA. But you never know ;)
Where I am from, labor unions and negotiations of work conditions and salary is a part of the yearly general agenda. Coincidentally this yearly agenda coincided with our flight schedule Thursday evening.
I had just been to a meeting at work, not one of the best ones, but the outcome was surprisingly more positive and feasible than anticipated, and seen from the previous meetings. I learned a new thing about the world of economics, or merely re-affirmed a thing or two that business school years ago had never really taught us directly.
Coming home with the usual slight fatigue, double checked my luggage while warming my early dinner. I could feel how I needed more time to re-fresh myself, but time was ticking and off I went to pick up my travel-partner.
“Typical” is what one always blurt out when you’re already under pressure and everything seems to go a bit wrong. We chose to take the metro to bring us to the airport, the train was delayed, and I quickly decided on taking the opposite direction to catch the regular train, of course that train did not go further than to the next station. Long story short we got to the airport, no problem at check-in and security, on time for everything until we sat flat on the plane, and waited. And waited… And waited…
Apparently the loaders of the airport luggage had gone on strike! Yes. Great!
Insider information told me that they had been too few workers with overload of work. Over 3 months with no improvement they finally decided to sit it out.
This concluded in a waiting time inside the plane for 2,5 hours before leaving the airport for a 55 min. flight! Like other passengers, we missed our connecting flight, everyone were re-booked and checked in at Hotel Sheraton. Yeah, it worked out; we got a good night’s rest. Though, a good tip – always pack 1 panty, 1 shirt + a toothbrush in your carry-on luggage J
I did a bit of home-work, as I usually do before travelling somewhere I have never been. Milan, I heard and read does not offer many sights as other Italian cities. But amongst the whole business and financial atmosphere of the city, it does have its charming areas.
After leaving Malpensa airport without luggage, we finally met up with our host who brought us to the humble flat with the classic high Italian ceiling. Weather was hot and truly not fit for the north European clothing and boots that my mother and I were still wearing. Nevertheless, with spirits in good condition, we started our sightseeing to the beautiful architechtural building of Duomo, where we walked around and took a stroll through the Gallerie Vittorio Emmanuele II and a traditional spin 3x on the floor illustrating a bull with missing private parts for “good luck”?!


The Castello Sforzesco was on the itinerary, the sky park and the beautiful architectural building of Milan’s central station. The most beautiful central station I have ever seen to date.
We ended the day still with no luggages, but do remember always to buy a travel insurance as this will cover expenses for necessities in these cases. Hmm... new set of Prada underwear would do? Ahem… of course to a reasonable extent.
Booking ahead for a 15 minute viewing of Leonardo Da Vinci’s work “The Last Supper”, is necessary if you do want to have a peak of the creation. It was practically the only thing I prepared for, for the trip. I had printed out papers of where to go, what to see and eat, but most papers were in my luggage. Our booking was for Saturday 10.45, we would not make it, as the courier called me at 09.45 to inform me, that they would be at the delivery address before noon.
While sun is high, the apartment is fortunately cool, if you don’t stand at the window facing the hot sun. My mom took a nap and I am trying to stay positive and avoid the negative thoughts of wasting precious time staring into the air.
My mother and I finally got to change into our self-brought clothing, headed to the viewing of “The Last Supper”, though late for our booking time, we were given a new schedule, just enough time for us to enjoy an Italian lunch. Gnocchi and pasta brocolli. While waiting to enter the cenacolo, a group of tourists were lead into two small rooms of glass were the one door wasn't opened before the other was shut. Finally there it was, dimmed light and a cold room were the walls had been restored to it's artsy self, for me that was the best part of the whole trip, a genuinely awesome and historical heavy (in a good way) experience. Taking in the greatness of his piece - signore Leonardo Da Vinci, ode to my trip “Eat” – “The Last Supper”.
And now, we could enjoy the Milanese shopping spree!
Our actual last supper was a homemade Italian dinner and a 20 min walk to reach the best Gelateria in town – well worth it!
On the last day, with the suitcases all packed up with edible Italian delicacies we went to see Duomo for the last time and took a trip to the roof terrace where the beautiful view of Milan could be seen!
Utterly a great trip and EATing is always good!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment